Wednesday 25 May 2011

Las Vegas Redux Part II

Let's keep this shameless cut and pasting going for just one more blog. After that, I promise it'll all be original Starchness. Here's part II of my Vegas trip report where I got involved in some crazy pots with a drunken fool that looked like this:


 Mr. Marcellus Wallace from the Venetian, 2011.

You really do see some interesting characters when you play poker in Vegas. I played a 14 hour session one day that was probably the funniest day of poker I have ever had.

I had planned to leave at around 8pm to go and get some food but the table was so incredible that it would have been a disaster to leave. The entire game was revolving around this one surly French-Canadian who had managed to go from being +$3k in profit to -$9k over the course of a few hours.

He didn't fold preflop at all. 100% VPIP. And then would check/call every flop and check/fold every turn apart from the few times he actually hit something. Obviously I had engineered position on him and he absolutely despised me because I 3-bet him quite a lot and won a few medium pots from him (he'd raise to $25, I'd make it about $160 with AA and he'd call every single time...).

Anyway I'd ground my stack up to about $2500 mainly thanks to him when this local scumbag who looks quite like Ving Rhames as Marcellus Wallce (but not as scary) showed up at about 11pm. Ving was a mess. He absolutely stank of whiskey, could barely walk and sort of fell into my entire chipstack when he lumbered down next to me. He also hated me with a vengeance thanks to a few bluffs I had pulled on him the day before.

One of them was awesome....flop was four-ways and read something like Q-9-6 with a flush draw. It checked to him, he bet and I was ready to fold with 5-7 when he turned over one of his cards, a queen. Just to show off I guess. Anyway I now called, planning to bluff him on a load of good turns and rivers. Turn was a T and it went check/check. River was a club and I now lead into him for $250 into a $160 or so pot - he thought for a while and obviously had to fold before swearing and promising to 'git you boy' when I showed the bluff.

So then the next day he sits down, is constantly telling me he's going to stack me, that if I try and bluff him one more time he is going to mess me up and all this crap. I just found it quite amusing because while he was a massive guy he actually seemed pretty pathetic. A few other people at the table were calling the floor though and asking for him to be removed - he was also doing all the usual stuff like showing his cards as he folded and trying to collude with other people while in a hand. A first class twat.

He played every single hand I was in by just calling down every street or raising when he made two pair or better. Which was a bit awkward seeing as I couldn't make a pair. Anyway, eventually I picked up Ah Ac (as you do!) when we were about $2k deep. French guy raised to $30, I made it $140 on button, Ving overcalls from SB and French calls.

Ving donks out $200 on a Js 6s 4h flop, French folds and I just call. Ving then donks out $400 on a 6h turn (the perfect card for me as it misses the flush and reduces chances of him having flopped a set...), I make it $1400, he moves in for a bit more and I call. He has As Ks and obviously we all know what the river is....

So yeah, he got my money. The worst part though was him slurring, 'I didn't mean what I was saying man, I actually think you're a good player and a nice guy' before going in for the hug. By this time Wills and Kate were just about to make their vows on TV so I decided to act like a good Brit, shake his hand and walk to the cage to cash in my paltry $140 remaining chips before starting a very long, angry diatribe to myself on the 20-minute walk back to my room (via a comforting McDonald's of course).

Poker - the beautiful game. 



De-tilting? 

1 comment: